School Learning Plan
Beaverton Academy of Science & Engineering
This is the first year of BASE. As of July 1, 2020 the School of Science & Technology and the Health & Science School officially merged. Ours is a story of becoming - of honoring old traditions and establishing new ones. As with any ‘start up’, there is much to do and many ways to grow.
Our focus has been and will remain on providing equitable learning experiences and doing the difficult work to become an anti-racist school. Currently, passing rates in classes can be predicted by race. Our Latinx students struggle disproportionately. Many students are showing signs of disengagement in CDL. The gender imbalance at BASE is notable and tends to worsen as students advance through the grade levels.
While we face many challenges, there are causes for celebration. All in-building seniors in the Class of 2020 graduated within four years. Furthermore the gender balance in our two newest classes of students in 6th and 7th grades are very close to parity. We have developed in-house expertise to track and share data among stakeholders and allies to support student success. We have published our first Academic Programming Guide and have been able to maintain our CTE pathways in spite of budget cutbacks. The staff have done an admirable job transitioning into the CDL model and continue to refine their skills. We’ve launched Anti-Racism Groups to build our capacity to be a school where experiences and outcomes are not predicted by race.
We have a phrase that gets shared often at BASE - “Feedback is a gift.” As you read over these problems of practice and our key strategies to address them, please do not hesitate to share your thoughts on ways we can improve and grow.
Date of Last Revision: October 1, 2019
District Goal: WE empower all students to achieve post-high school success.
WE Expect Excellence
- WE teach students knowledge and skills for our evolving world.
- WE seek, support, and recognize world-class employees.
- WE engage students with a variety of relevant and challenging learning experiences.
- WE create learning environments that promote student achievement.
WE Embrace Equity
- WE build honest, safe, and inclusive relationships with our diverse students and their families.
- WE provide needed support so that every student succeeds.
- WE work and learn in teams to understand student needs and improve learning outcomes.
- WE partner with our community to educate and serve students.