School Learning Plan
Beaverton Academy of Science & Engineering
BASE strives to teach character as well as science and engineering. Persistence is among the “Traits of the Phoenix”. Indeed students, staff, and families have persisted during a year of merging schools, CDL, re-organizing classrooms, COVID cases, and a remodel. We will come out the other side of this stronger and better equipped to serve families.
One thing that the pandemic has taught us is the importance of focus. We are going to focus on a few things from past years and do them well.
Currently, passing rates in classes can be predicted by race. Our Latinx students struggle disproportionately. The gender imbalance at BASE is notable and tends to worsen as students advance through the grade levels. Whereas the two years prior to the pandemic showed notable gains in gender balance at BASE, the disparity widened in the absence of our traditional preview events.
We have a phrase that gets shared often at BASE - “Feedback is a gift.” As you read over these problems of practice and our key strategies to address them, please do not hesitate to share your thoughts on ways we can improve and grow.
Date of Last Revision: October, 2022
District Goal: WE empower all students to achieve post-high school success.
WE Expect Excellence
- WE teach students knowledge and skills for our evolving world.
- WE seek, support, and recognize world-class employees.
- WE engage students with a variety of relevant and challenging learning experiences.
- WE create learning environments that promote student achievement.
WE Embrace Equity
- WE build honest, safe, and inclusive relationships with our diverse students and their families.
- WE provide needed support so that every student succeeds.
- WE work and learn in teams to understand student needs and improve learning outcomes.
- WE partner with our community to educate and serve students.